Wednesday, July 18, 2018

GAETI 2018
WEDNESDAY

     Today has been another fascinating day at GAETI! We started out with Ms. Agnew from the MSU library. She demonstrated how to prepare a conference poster in MS Publisher. I can see how I can use this in my classroom by having my students prepare a page in Publisher to explain a concept, explore a STEM career, or set up a timeline to follow the progression of a particular technology. Very informative! Next we heard from Dr. Elizabeth Downey on the evaluation of fake news. This particularly important to my students who are entering high school. They have not necessarily been taught how to differentiate between what is real and unbiased and what is not.
     After lunch, Dr. DeeDee Baldwin showed us how to access Ancestry.com and other genealogy websites for free. She also showed us where and how to access different types of records. This was so interesting to me because I did not know all of my grandparents or great-grandparents as they were deceased before I was born. I had to call my mom about one grandparent's name, so now she wants me to teach her how to access all of this info. Actually, she probably just wants me to do it and let her sit and watch/read!
     For art class, we worked on tracing our designs to our boards and beginning our painting of the boards. We also had to glaze our tiles in pink stuff. Unfortunately, two of my tiles exploded or were damaged when someone else's exploded in the kiln. C'est la vie! I am going to stay after final session with Dr. Lee to work on my board.
     Dr. Lee, bless his heart, had to wait on us for a while because art ran long today. He was very gracious, though, and swapped his time to show us more about html coding. He demonstrated on the front screen just how easy it is to set up a webpage IF you know the basics of HTML coding.
WHEW!!! Busy day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment